10 Ways to Simplify Your Life – #WasteNotWantNot
Looking for Ways to Simplify Your Life?
We often talk about reducing trash and streamlining the waste stream in this blog as a way to help the environment and these same ideas and concepts can be applied to simplifying your life. Cutting through the clutter, in the form of unnecessary commitments and tasks, can help you simplify things which leads to more time to live a happy and productive life. Here are some tips to help you simplify your life in the spirit of our 2016 #WasteNotWantNot series.
10 Ways to Simplify Your Life
- Slow Down – If you are constantly moving you don’t leave yourself time to recharge and regroup. Slowing down gives you the ability to evaluate and focus on what is important.
- Take Out The Trash – In much the same way that litter is bad for the environment, physical and mental litter is bad for your well-being. Take the time to get rid of anything you do not need and that does not have a useful purpose.
- Go 80/20 on the Small Stuff – Vilfredo Pareto’s 80/20 rule states that in a project or endeavor 80 percent of the results come from just 20 percent of the effort put forth. Major projects require a lot of attention, but when it comes to smaller pursuits limit how much time and effort you put forth.
- Own Less – Certain items are definitely necessary, but look to eliminate duplicates or superfluous items. Determine what you need and focus on that. Get rid of anything you do not need.
- Practice Mindfulness – Give Multitasking a Break. When you have too much going on it can be hard to do anything well. Find what is important and just focus on that and “be in the moment. When you have completed your first task move on to the next and give that task your undivided attention.
- Take Time to Unplug – It is really easy to constantly check your phone or other devices for messages or to play games or to read articles or blogs. Take a step back. Turn your electronic devices off and put them down. Take periodic breaks without any digital engagement to engage with the people and happenings around you.
- Feel The Love – Dedicate Time to Friends and Loved Ones. Spending time with people you care about can be relaxing and inspiring. Giving yourself time to connect with people you care about and who care about you will keep you grounded and ready to take on the world.
- Take Care of Yourself – A healthy diet and exercise will keep you centered and balanced and help you rest better at night. When you are in a good mindset and feel good you will be able to do your best work.
- Just Say No – Learn to Say No. If you are asked to do something that doesn’t capture your interest, don’t feel obligated to participate. If you are not engaged you won’t do your best work and you’ll be pulled away from the pursuits and tasks that you do care about.
- Practice Positivity – Don’t Leave Room for Negativity. There is power in positivity. Choose to be happy and surround yourself with people who believe in you and your ability. Make sure not to waste time being negative about yourself and your circumstances in life since that is time that could certainly be put to better use.
Bringing simplicity into your life may seem daunting. It may take some time, but by introducing these practices into your life, you can experience greater fulfillment and quality of life. For even more tips to simplify your life check out this post.
What do you do to simplify things? Do you have any tips that didn’t make our list? Let us know in the comments.Tagged